And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you
‘Cos I find it hard to take
When people run in circles it’s a very very
Whenever I hear the Tears for Fears song Mad World, for some reason I swap the word ‘mad’ with ‘cruel’. It is definitely a mad world that is for sure, and if you want to see one of the best 20 minutes to depict this, watch the beginning of The Gods Must Be Crazy again. However I think it is a cruel world too, well at least some people in it are cruel.
About a year ago I tried to stop caring what people think because I have realised people are cruel, or just do not care enough to ask appropriate questions before they judge. I know we are told not to worry about others, but sometimes you just do, especially if you are a caring person. Lately I have heard way too many cruel things that I have given up caring so much. Although I really wish people wouldn’t be so cruel. Why can’t people mind their Ps and Qs, be on your best behaviour and worry about their own lives?!
Some examples that have got under my skin have been:
- A friend posts a few photos of her kids on Facebook and someone criticized her for posting so many. I think this is totally unfounded. This friend is on the other side of the country and I do not get to see her kids, so I love seeing the photos. Why would posting photos of your children affect anyone in a bad way? It is not hard to scroll over them if you are not interested in them. I think a true friend would be happy to see photos of their friend’s kids and if you do not have the time, keep scrolling!
- I have heard complaints about people who post pictures of food on Facebook. According to one person we do not care what other people are having for dinner and that way back when (ie when we used film in cameras) we didn’t take photos of our dinner and show them to our friends when they visited. In my opinion this is an irrelevant comparison. Film and processing cost money, and it was expensive to take photos of your children growing up and photos while you were on holidays. I wish I had taken more photos while we were in Paris, but I just couldn’t afford to. I wish I had more photos of Makita when she was a puppy, but I couldn’t afford it. Times have changed. Access to photos, especially in the digital age, is so much cheaper and easier. Also society has changed, there is more interest in cooking, which has been made even more popular with reality shows. I for one do not mind seeing what people are having for dinner every now and then. It gives me ideas! If you are not interested in seeing pictures of food, respect the other persons interests, say nothing and keep scrolling.
- A friend was going on a holiday and her so-called friend said she is lucky to have a sugar-daddy! Who says things like that? My friend has worked so hard over the years. Her husband has worked hard too. If they can afford a holiday, why should they be made to feel guilty? A true friend would be happy (even excited) for the other person and would want to hear all about the trip. If you can’t be happy for your friend don’t put your issues onto her! Man, don’t we all wish for that Powerball, or a sugar-daddy! But someone who has worked hard and that has a hardworking partner does not equate to a sugar-daddy!
- On the topic of travel I have also given up wanting to tell people tales about my holidays. If they don’t ask I don’t bring it up. Maybe I just read some people wrong, but the majority of the time people don’t ask, or even worse they don’t ask about my holiday and then ask the question “So where are you going on your next holiday?”! I absolutely loath that question, especially if I have just got home! After holidays you are usually back at work with more work that you can handle, so you are usually trying to get back on top of things while not losing wonderful memories you just created and also not wasting any of the rest and relaxation you had. The furthermost thought from my mind is where I would love to travel to next. Maybe its just me, but when we get back from a holiday we have usually spent more than we should have so aren’t really thinking of the next holiday. But don’t let this worry you if you want to hear about my travels as I will tell you and I will write about them when I can. I really want to write things down so I don’t forget myself! My hubbie’s memory is terrible and can’t remember anything, so I must write some tales down soon.
- I have had numerous people ask me “when” am I going to look for a job. How about asking if I am working, or if I am going to look for a job, or even start with “what have you been doing lately”. I hate “when” questions… for example “When are you going to have children?” They are very presumptuous questions. Like what if I am not ready to have a full-time job, or what if I can’t have children. Anyway, I used to get complaints that I spoke too much about work and posted on Facebook too much about work. I am sorry I used to work hard and that was all I had time for, hence that was all I could talk about. It was all I did! And now I am working part-time, I get the impression I am not working enough. Is my working or not working affecting anyone (besides maybe my husband)?… No. In my opinion a true friend would listen to hear about your successes or complaints about work, and a true friend would be interested enough in your life to ask how things are going first, before jumping into asking what could be an inappropriate question!
- There are weekly if not daily reminders that people have invisible disabilities or illnesses, but some people don’t seem to get it. What is there to get? Some people are hurting, although they are not bleeding. It is a fact, so just get it. I have heard one friend say it is just too hard to explain her illness and get people to understand, which is so sad when they are on an array of medications and cannot do certain things and are given grief by cruel people. I have also heard that someone said so-and-so wasn’t that sick, but people put on a brave face. Or another comment was said to a friend that so-and-so did this when his back was bad and why are you not doing everything you can to get better; when there are different injuries and if your doctor told you to keep your back immobilised then I think that is what you should be doing! When my wrist was bad a couple of months ago it was some swelling pressing on the nerve so I had to keep it immobilised and ice it when I could to reduce the swelling. By looking at my wrist it looked fine, but not all injuries, disabilities and diseases are visible. Why are some people so cruel? Why can’t everyone just be nice to one another? [I am sorry but not everyone is going to get this, but when I say “Why can’t everyone just be nice to one another?” all I can think of next is “Even Oedipus had a mother!” – lyrics from the song Friends by the Doug Anthony Allstars – My terrible sense of humour!].
- This was something I found really sad. I know a friend who didn’t invite to people to their child’s Christening because didn’t want to deal with people’s opinions on religion. I am not a religious person but I respect people have different beliefs and interests. I would have loved to attend and been part of a special event for my friend and her immediate family. It’s sad that opinionated people have some much control. Maybe I am being opinionated by writing this post, but I believe these opinions aren’t hurting anyone and surely I am just making you think about people’s actions, words and wouldn’t it be a better place if people just got along.
The world is cruel enough without snide comments, jealousy or people just being plain rude. There was a trigger that made me start writing this post and it is also the reason why it has taken me so long to finish it. It was proof about how cruel this world is. On 21 September 2013 unidentified gunmen attacked the upmarket Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya…
The Westgate Nairobi attack really freaked me out because I have been in that mall. I actually thought that was the safest mall I had been in because as we drove into the mall we had to go through security gates and they checked the car, the boot and even put mirrors under the car for guns and explosives etc. I know this isn’t the first terrorist attack and that September 11 attacks and the Bali bombing were horrific, and the Bali bombings affected many Western Australians. But I had never been personally affected before.
Then I heard the worst thing of all. I had met, talked to, attended a wedding with one of the victims. A beautiful woman named Ruhila Adatia-Sood. She was beautiful (she had this biggest smile), vibrant, passionate and just lovely! I was distraught. Then I read she was 6 months pregnant with their first-born. Could this be any worse? I am not going to write anymore as I believe I have made my point. If you want to read more go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-24195845
I just cannot fathom why there are such bad people in this world. And I definitely do not understand why seemingly normal people can be so cruel, especially when there is such horror in this world as it is.
I am not sure how I came across these lyrics from Matilda: The Musical but I thought them extremely fitting.
Just because you find that life’s not fair, it
Doesn’t mean that you just have to grin and bear it.
If you always take it on the chin and wear it,
Nothing will change.
Even if you’re little you can do a lot, you
Mustn’t let a little thing like ‘little’ stop you.
If you sit around and let them get on top, you
Might as well be saying you think that it’s OK,
And that’s not right
I am sorry about my rant! But I do not think it is right that some people are not nice. I do not think being a ‘Troll’ every now and then is fun. We need to not waste time with negativity – I really need to keep remembering this. As I have said I have had this in draft for a long time and I kept thinking about it every time I hear the song Mad World – so Yay, I have finally finished this post and got it off my chest! And I’ll just end with the old saying that I always live by “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say nothing at all”. How wise was Thumper from Bambi!?!
I hope you liked the irony of a couple of the memes! Sources of Memes:
Kids Photos – https://www.jeremymorgan.com/funny/funny-memes/122-funny-memes-for-may-21st/attachment/5-21-funny-memes-pictures-108/
Holidays – http://cf.chucklesnetwork.com/items/5/1/7/7/3/original/oh-so-youre-on-vacation-your-last-500-posts-told-me-nothing-abou.jpg
Credit Card Bill – http://m.memegen.com/p961ze.jpg
Invisible Disability – http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/8110/gg51.jpg
Medical Bills – http://www.lastkisscomics.com/blog/comics/2010-06-22-sticks-and-stones.gif
Trolling – http://wac.7725.edgecastcdn.net/807725/website/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/jzlzgn5.jpg